Monday, January 21, 2013

Let there be light....

in the chicken coop, that is. For those of you who may not know, we are the proud parents of 5 Rhode Island Red hens. In 2011, we bought them as tiny chicks that Colvin raised for his 4-H project. We originally started out with 6, but the neighbors dog made an unwelcome visit one day and decided to have chicken for dinner. As the girls grew, they began laying and eggs were abundant in the land. However, as chicken do, they molted for the first time this past fall. When they molt, eggs become as scarce as hens teeth! After the molting came the darkness of the long winter months. Still no eggs. In case you didn't know, chickens are solar powered. They need 12-14 hours of daylight to trigger them into laying eggs. So, not enough light=no eggs. Until this past weekend.....
This is our A-frame chicken coop that Colvin and I built together. On Saturday, we installed a string of LED rope light under the top ridge board. 100 feet of extension cord, and one timer later, from 4:00am-7:00am, the girls now have light. And now, we wait. Such an egg-citing life we lead here down by the creek!

Thanks for dropping by!
Diane

3 comments:

  1. I would love to have chickens but my sister and my husband's brother have lost so many to raccoons, foxes, bears - you name it, so it makes me nervous to get some of our own. I do love fresh eggs and enjoy the ones we get from our niece.

    The chicken coop looks great! You are indeed a woman of many talents! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dear it's me Cucki from South Africa :)
    Your new friend ..
    I love chickens so much...enjoy them..
    Love for you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea chicken had to be so pampered, good thing they have you taking care of them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me here at the Creek!