Monday, March 26, 2012

Drum roll please.....

I finally have pictures of my floss cabinet to show you. The top part had its humble beginnings as a silverware chest that I got at a church sale. I saw its potential and began planning the transformation. The top wasn't deep enough to house my floss bags, so Dad and I built a new lid that was deep enough. I wanted to be sure I had plenty of room for all of my floss, so we built the lower part with 3 drawers. To be as thrifty as possible, we used a lot of scrap wood. Plywood, pine, and oak were all used in its construction. The whole project cost around $30.00 and I couldn't be happier with the final outcome! 


To mimic white porcelain knobs, I used small wooden spools painted white. 


The drawers are sectioned off with thin wood, to help keep my bags neat and tidy. The silverware chest came with a rectangular brass plate on top. I removed it, polished it, and had my initials (DMG) engraved in it. 


The brass handles on the lower section were originally attached to the sides of the silverware chest. I removed them, filled the holes and relocated them to their present location. Enjoy the pictures of a custom-made Grickensmith (Smith is Dad's last name) floss cabinet. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! and I see you have it all filled to the brim with floss already! Love to find a chest like that, unfortunately all my floss are homeless..oh well..one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Diane,
    Just found your blog. Love how you made the chest, all threads in one place. Maybe one day that will happen for me. I have a lot in those DMC folders and the rest well, they really need a tidy cabinet like yours.

    Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me here at the Creek!